Last Updated on May 9, 2023 by ellen
If you’re looking for simple living tips, check out these simple life tips for pet owners. Here are my favorite ways to have less stress as a pet owner.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Simple Life Tips for Pet Owners
How can you live a more meaningful life as a pet owner? Here are some life hacks to help you spend time doing the things you enjoy the most.
Living a simpler life is all about spending time doing what you enjoy while delegating or eliminating the things you don’t.
But, can you apply these simple tips to the time you spend taking care of your pets?
How can I be a better pet owner?
1. Find joy in the small moments with your pet. Spend quality time enjoying activities such as walks, cuddles, playtime, and even training.
3. Keep basic supplies on hand at all times so you don’t have to make last-minute trips for pet food or litter. Make a to-do list to remember priorities.
4. Schedule regular vet visits, and take note of any changes in your pet’s behavior that may indicate an illness or injury.
5. Look into pet insurance to cover unexpected medical bills and save money in the long run.
6. Spend time learning about your pet’s breed, so you can better anticipate its needs and provide the best possible care.
7. Regularly check for fleas and ticks to keep your pet healthy and happy.
8. Make sure your pet is spayed or neutered, which helps control the pet population and reduces the risk of certain illnesses.
9. Stay informed about pet laws in your area and follow them closely to avoid fines or legal repercussions.
10. Get involved in pet-related activities such as adopting, volunteering, or attending fundraisers to help pets in need.
How do I manage my life with a dog?
1. Take your pup for regular walks or runs to help keep him healthy and active. Time alone with your pet is vital for self-care.
2. Always have plenty of toys on hand for interactive playtime, which helps strengthen the bond between you and your pet.
3. Look into obedience classes so you can better understand how to train and communicate with your dog positively.
4. Make sure your pup gets enough socialization with other animals and people, which will help him become accustomed to different environments.
5. Schedule regular grooming sessions so that your pup stays clean and healthy, and address any behavioral issues as soon as they arise.
6. Research pet-friendly travel destinations for stress-free vacations for your pup. Find ways to live life in a way that is rewarding for you both.
7. Invest in a good leash and dog bed, as well as a set of appropriate tools for training and grooming.
8. Set aside quality time each day to simply spend it with your pup doing activities you both enjoy. Get rid of stuff you don’t use like toys they never play with.
9. Make sure all family members are involved in the care of your pet to ensure consistency in your pup’s training.
10. Know when to seek professional help from a vet or dog behaviorist if needed.
Taking the extra time and effort to properly care for your pet will pay off in the long run, as you’ll both benefit from a stronger bond and happier life together!
Life hacks for pet and dog owners
Here are a few helpful tips for pet and dog owners you should try.
- Warm water and baking soda cleans pet urine
- Dryer sheets pick up your dogs hair
- Make your own pet safe air freshener
- Use a covered litter box to keep your dog out of it.
- Buy a kiddie pool to keep your dog cool in the summer
- Make frozen treats with fresh fruit.
Pets thrive when they have clear boundaries and expectations for their day-to-day lives. Establishing a daily routine for your pet helps them feel secure and safe, reduces stress, and eliminates unnecessary surprises that add to the chaos.
Identify your priorities. What matters the most? Use this question to help you create an action plan for taking care of your pet.
If you’re short on time, focus first on the activities that are most important to your pet—like regular exercise and potty breaks.
This is one of the most important simple living tips. Simple living is all about less stress and having less to do can make a huge difference.
Consider hiring help
Sometimes it can be difficult to juggle all of our responsibilities with taking care of a pet. Consider bringing in help like dog walkers or sitters to give you more time in your day.
Or, hire help to keep your house clean. You will feel less stressed when you have more freedom and free time.
Keeping up with stray dog hair and pet hair
Is keeping furniture fur free possible with pets? Pet hair clings to everything. If keeping up with hair is an issue, here are some life hacks.
- Start with regular brushing sessions to remove excess fur and reduce shedding. Pet hair collects on everything so removing excess hair makes things a bit easier.
- Invest in a good vacuum that can effectively pick up hair.
- Use a lint roller on carpets and furniture. Or, invest in slip covers.
- Swipe a dryer sheet over your furniture to get all that loose hair. Dog hair clings to the dryer sheets.
- Keep your house clutter-free so there are fewer surfaces for pet hair to cling to. This will help you keep your furniture clean.
Spending time with your pet
Finally, make sure that you’re spending quality time with your pet each day. This is an important part of building a strong bond and creating a stress-free environment for both you and your furry friend. So take some time out of the day to give your pet some love and attention.
By following these simple living tips, you can make sure that you’re taking care of your pet in the best way possible while still living a meaningful life. What’s more important than that?
Take inventory of supplies
Before tackling any of the above tips, take a few moments to check in with the supplies you need to take care of your pet. Take inventory of items like food, litter, toys, and other essentials so that you’re always prepared for any situation.
Add these must-haves to your automatic reorder list.
- Rubber gloves
- Self-feed dog food container
- Pill pockets for meds
- First aid kit
- Dog walk supplies
- Baking soda
- Waste bags
- Extra treats
It’s important to stay organized when it comes to taking care of pets. Set up systems and processes that will help keep you on track as your pet’s primary caregiver.
This could include creating a weekly schedule for walking, feeding, and playtime or having a designated spot to store all of the supplies needed for taking care of your animals.
Taking care of a pet is a big responsibility, so don’t forget to take breaks when you need them. Make sure that you’re taking time for yourself and getting enough rest.
Summary of simple life tips
If your goal is to live simply, try a few of these great ideas.
- Establish routines
- Hire help
- Keep up with dog hair
- Automatically reorder supplies
- Stay organized
- Take breaks for self care
These simple life tips can help make living with a pet more enjoyable and less stressful. With the right routine, supplies, and organization in place, you’ll be able to give your pet the best care possible while still living a meaningful life.
What’s your favorite method to stay connected with your pet?I hope I’ve given you some inspiration with these simple living tips.
If you enjoyed these simple life tips, you might like these:
Ellen runs a small pet sitting business in southern Vermont. She has experience with a variety of small animals, dogs and cats. She has also cared for ducks, chickens and rabbits. Combined, she has over 20 years of experience in pet care and pet sitting.