Last Updated on January 4, 2023 by ellen
Have you ever wondered if you can make your own dog name tags? Making a gift for your dog is a great way to show him or her you care.
Posts may be sponsored. This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click through and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Make Your Own Dog Name Tags
While they won’t necessarily understand the time you put into the project, they will appreciate the attention and love. Why not make them a snuffle ball toy.
Of course, it’s very important that your dog has ID tags on so that if they get lost, they can be returned home. ID tags are larger and have room for your name and contact information. You can make your own dog name tags to add your dog’s name or nickname just for fun.
Why not learn how to make your dog love you even more.
So, there are lots of cute dog tags out there that you can have engraved with your contact information. But, if you’re looking for unique pet ID tags, consider making these stamped penny charms.
Supplies to make your own dog name tags
1. Place a penny on a hard surface like a smooth garage floor or an anvil. Firmly hammer the penny repeatedly until it is completely smooth on both sides. Keep those fingers out of the way, you donâ€™t want to smash them! You should do a few spares in case you mess up on the hole drilling or the name stamping!
2. Drill a hole in the penny, about 1/16â€ away from the edge. Be careful that you donâ€™t get too close to the edge because it could crack.
3. Using a pencil, draw a baseline on the penny to use as a guide when placing your stamps.
4. Starting with the middle letter of the name and working out from there, carefully stamp the flattened penny with your hammer and metal letter stamps. Consider the length of the name when spacing, if itâ€™s a longer name, youâ€™ll have to stamp the letter very close together. Note: If the name is long, consider using a nickname or initials!
5. Once the name is stamped into the penny, use the ultra fine point Sharpie to darken the letters. If you accidentally get out of the lines, donâ€™t fret, it rubs right off of the smooth pennyâ€™s surface but will stay in the grooves.
6. Place jump ring through the hole in the penny and embellish with a pretty small bead if desired. Finally, use on a charm bracelet, a necklace, a keychain or on your petâ€™s collar!
So, this is such a cute craft for dog owners. If you’re looking for a unique way to make your own dog name tags, this is definitely it. Now, why not make a few of these homemade doggie treats. Or, learn how to make your own dog collar at this post from Lolita Patterns.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 24-year-old son and 29-year-old daughter. She owns six blogs and is addicted to social media. She has been running a small pet sitting business in southern Vermont for the past five years. She’s a proud Mommy to a shelter kitty named Scout. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.