Whether you’re going away on business or a family vacation, learning how to choose a pet sitter can help you feel more comfortable leaving your pet behind. Having a pet sitter come to your home can be a much more affordable option than boarding your pet while you’re away.
How to Choose a Pet Sitter
There is more involved in choosing a pet sitter than finding an add on your local bulletin board. Take some time choosing the right pet sitter for your pet and your situation by following these tips.
- Check their references. Get at least two references when checking.
- Be sure they have experience watching your type of pet. If they’ve only sat dogs, and you have cats, they may not be the right choice.
- Interview them with your pet. See how they react and how your pet reacts to them.
- Find out what their fee is and what it includes. Do they charge extra for more than one pet? For administering medicine?
- How many visits per day does their fee include? If your dog needs to be walked four times a day, will that be extra?
- Be sure they are available every day during your absence including holidays. How do they cover emergencies? Do they have a backup?
- What other services will they provide? Will they brush your pet? Bring in the mail? Water the plants? Will that be extra?
- Are they insured? While this isn’t something that smaller pet sitting services always provide if it’s important to you be sure you ask.
- How will they communicate with you while you’re gone? Will they leave you a home phone number? Cell phone number? Email address?
The most important thing to keep in mind when looking for a pet sitter is not to rush. You want to feel confident with your choice, and you want to be sure that your pet feels comfortable with the pet sitter. I require at least two meetings with the pet before the pet owner leaves on their trip. I make certain to play with them talk to them and get to know them.
Here are a few supplies you should leave for the pet sitter.
Ellen is a busy mom of a 21-year-old son and 26-year-old daughter. She owns 5 blogs and is addicted to social media. She has been running a small pet sitting business in southern Vermont for the past three years. She’s a proud Mommy to 2 shelter kitties. If you’d like to work together, email firstname.lastname@example.org to chat.